Monday, September 23, 2013

Momma Had a Girl

My mom loved getting her hair done.  She loved trying out different styles and colors.  And since mom got her hair done at least once a week, it was always a surprise to see what she had gotten done. She always came home relaxed.  And energized. And better able to face life.

I knew that Audrey had inherited that particular gene the first time I took her to a salon when she was about 9.  She settled into that  shampoo chair with a look of pure bliss on her face.  I sadly realized that I would never be able to trim those bangs again.

Nowadays, we have our hairdressers, or stylists, or beauticians.  Back in the day, my mom had a "girl".

The one that I remember best was named Sally.  Sally was married to a guy in my dad's Air Force unit, so mom and Sally were together for years.  They were friends in and out of the salon.

Mom didn't take us along with her very often - that was her adult time.  But when I could, I always loved to go along with her to her appointments.  I'd try to make myself small and be really quiet so that I could listen to the ladies talking.  After a while they'd forget that I was there and then things got interesting!!  
(We didn't have the Lifetime channel back then, so  a girl had to get her life lesson info any way she could!!)

It was also to my advantage to be still and quiet and as invisible as I could.  Then maybe mom would forget that she brought me in to get my hair cut too.  As a young girl in the '60's with thick frizzy naturally curly hair the best way to control my hair was to "thin" it.  With a razor.  And it hurt like hell so I'd always end up crying.  Very embarrassing.  And painful.  It could be why I didn't really start going to salons until I was a lot older.  And when I find one that can cut curly hair I tend to stay with them.

Nowadays, my girl is a guy named Brandon.  A real rock star of a guy who went to school with Audrey.  She sent me to him this spring with her credit card and said "Enjoy!"  And boy, did I!!

So I was feeling a bit low and in need of a change in June and I made a spur of the moment decision to go and get my hair "did".  I managed to get an appointment and started the 186 mile round trip to get my hair done and to get a little salve for my soul.


It was just what I needed.

In fact, I liked it sooo much that I tagged along with Audrey at her next appointment and had it cut again.



And here is the proof that my new hair cut was successful - 

Last Saturday, I was sitting at the kitchen table, staring blankly at nothing, miserable with a sinus infection and some new meds, I was still in my jammies, hadn't showered, in fact I had slept on the couch the night before as part of a sleepover with my grandbabies; yep, real Miss America material.

Larry walked by, kissed the top of my head and said, "I know that you feel rotten sweetie, but your hair looks really nice."

Wow.  Sweet.

An unsolicited atta-boy from my husband of 33 years.

Thank you Brandon!  My hair looks great.  And my soul was calmed. And I am better able to face life.

No wonder my mom loved her girls so much!




1 comment: